December 7, 2010

Plaistow magic sounds

What a sweet evening! I’m holding a well-designed CD titled “the Crow” by great jazz band from Switzerland, the Plaistow.
These 3 guys inspired me tonight:
Cyril Bondi, drums
Raphaël Ortis, bass
Johann Bourquenez, piano

from official Plaistow web page
Plaistow is a station of London Underground  (west Ham, east London). If I knew that before I met the musicians, I would obviously ask them what is so nice in London Underground. Our St-Petersburg underground is considered as one of the most beautiful in the world, by the way. I wonder if guys will make a new composition devoted to Russian metro.
Oh, holly… What do I see in the content of new CD “The Crow”, presented by the musicians one hour ago? Track#2 “Mayakovskaya”. That’s the name of underground station in St-Petersburg. As well as in Moscow metro. Which one they mean, I wonder?

Last year, December 2009, they played in Ufa and Ivanovo, two very different from geographical and cultural point of view cities. This December, 2010, they started from Dubna, Archangelsk, then Moscow, and, at last, St-Petersburg.
As Raphael told me, he fell in love with Archangelsk, this most northern town of Russia, well known by its developed sense for experimental and alternative culture.
These Swiss guys (oops, Johann is from Toulouse, France) play very strange jazz. Professional critics will call it post-jazz with elements of fusion. Anyway, it’s the music full of improvisation, as well as academic school marks, pretentious minimalism and aggressive presentation.

Just  listen and enjoy!





Official download from Plaistow website:
http://www.edogm.net/plaistow/downloads.html

No comments:

Post a Comment